Good eye health doesn’t come naturally, it is something you need to maintain. Everything in your body is connected, so maintaining a healthy lifestyle and taking care of yourself will do a lot in the long run to protect your eyes. Here are some tips on how to better maintain good eye health:
- Practice Proper Eye Nutrition – As the old saying goes “You are what you eat.” The road to good eye health begins with what food you are eating. Eating omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc and vitamin C and E heavy foods can help reduce age-related vision loss like macular degeneration. Studies show that eating nutritious foods can even reduce your odds of developing cataracts. Eating a well-balanced diet will help you maintain a healthy body weight, making you less likely to develop diabetes.
- Don’t Smoke – Smoking increases your risk of developing cataracts, optical nerve damage, and macular degeneration.
- Use Sunglasses – Make sure to use sunglasses whenever you go outside during the day. The sun’s unltraviolet (UV) rays are still a danger to your eyes even on an overcast day. Over-exposure to the sun will increase your risk of developing cataracts and symptoms of macular degeneration. Not all sunglasses protect your eyes, choose sunglasses that specify that they block 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays.
- Use Safety Glasses – Do you work in a hazardous environment that might expose your eyes to airborne particles? If the answer is yes, then you need to regularly use safety glasses and/or protective goggles while on the job. Many sports can also put your eyes at risk of damage due to eye injury. Make sure to wear eye protection before stepping out on the field
- Avoid Digital Eye Strain – Don’t stare at a computer screen for too long as it can cause a slew of issues such as: eyestrain, blurred vision, trouble seeing long distance, symptoms of dry eye, headaches, and neck, back, and shoulder pain. If you find yourself having to stare at computers for an extended period of time, make sure you are using glasses that help to block blue light radiation and take a break every 20 minutes to rest your eyes.